The Office of Strategic Communications & Public Affairs advances UC Irvine’s reputation, mission, priorities and values through an integrated communication approach that includes the following:
- Brand development and management: Cultivating an emotional connection and loyalty to the university by articulating the institution’s distinctive qualities, encouraging a positive experience, and developing and protecting the university’s identity, marks and graphic assets.
- Community relations: Creating opportunities for local political, community, and business leaders to engage with the university to support the connection between Orange County’s dynamic economy and its premiere research institution.
- Executive communications: Strengthening the presence and influence of university leaders – globally, regionally and within the campus – through effective messaging and outreach support.
- Government relations and advocacy: Engaging elected and appointed officials at the federal, state, regional and local levels to promote our research, education, and public service activities.
- Internal communications: Providing outreach assistance and information for UCI’s students, faculty and staff.
- Marketing: Developing effective tools and services to convey the university’s message, including advertising, presentations, promotional pieces and events.
- Media relations: Establishing mutually beneficial relationships with members of the media – from digital publications and social networks to production studios and news organizations – to support the accurate, appropriate and fair use of university information worldwide.
- Publications and digital properties: Creating books, magazines, newsletters, brochures, websites and other digital content that advance the university’s mission.
- Special events and protocol: Providing strategic guidance, event management, and protocol services for high-level, universitywide events that support UCI’s priorities.
- Visual communications: Producing photography, videography, graphic design and other visual assets that help create compelling stories.
Strategic Communications & Public Affairs is the campus’s storyteller, providing information in a way that’s accurate, credible, engaging and influential. It uses a wide range of platforms to share the university’s story – UCI Magazine, websites and social networks; university news and features in prominent media outlets; advertising and marketing materials; visual assets such as photography, videography and graphics; as well as advocacy, community engagement and special events – all designed to build connections with multiple constituents.
The office also develops and monitors communication policies, procedures and standards to ensure a consistent, accurate and appropriate presence throughout the institution and with external publics. It provides strategy, counsel, services and support to the university’s schools, programs and units.